My two middle-est kids celebrated their sixth and seventh birthdays this month. We had a very busy 8 days celebrating 4 times! It was exhausting and I spent a lot of time in the kitchen. Nikki had an afternoon tea party with some school friends (remember the invite I posted here), we had a family celebration with all families combined and then celebrated on each of the kids birthdays. I made cupcakes for school twice, a sponge cake for Nikki's actual birthday, chocolate cake for her afternoon tea party, white chocolate mud cake for the family celebration and hungry caterpillar cupcakes for Drew's actual birthday. The kids loved their cakes but to be honest, I am a little caked out. I've included some photos of the cakes... My next step to work on is the icing and finishing off of the cake, it still needs some work.
Sponge cake recipe (a simple and easy recipe and gluten free too)
4 eggs (at room temperature)
1/2 cup custard powder
1/2 tsp bicarb soda
1/2 cup cornflour
1 tsp cream of tartar
3/4 cup of castor sugar
1. Sift dry ingredients (except sugar) three times
2. Separate the egg whites and add a punch of bicarb soda and beat until soft peaks form. Slowly add the sugar and beat until stiffens
3. Gently fold in whisked egg yolks
4. Fold in the sifted dry ingredients
5. Divide cake mix evenly between two tins and cook in a moderate oven (160C) for approx. 25 minutes or until golden and the cake is coming away from the sides of the tin
6. Serve cake with jam and cream in the middle layer and ice the top of the cake with icing
Since this post is long enough, I'll share the other recipes in a few days.